OCASI ONTARIO COUNCIL OF AGENCIES SERVING IMMIGRANTS is pleased to invite participants in its Updated Facilitated E-learning training on Sexual Violence Understanding & Responding to Sexual Violence in Immigrant and Refugee Communities: Level 1
WHEN: June 14th –July 19th, 2017 (SV K)
The purpose of this FREE introductory-level course is to help front line practitioners working with immigrant and refugee communities to better understand issues of sexual violence and develop a supportive response for survivors. It is important to note that when discussing sexual violence, the focus will not only be on abuse that can occur within intimate relationships but also sexual violence that is perpetuated by family members, friends, acquaintances, those in positions of power and strangers. The course is a 5 week online facilitated training and is not meant to provide in-depth training on how to become a sexual violence counsellor. However, course content will emphasize the importance of working within professional boundaries and providing referrals to external sources when required.
Upon completion of the training, you will be able to:
- Analyze the issue of sexual violence from a gendered and anti-oppression framework.
- Critically analyze the realities of immigrant and refugee women who have experienced sexual violence in the context of structural and systemic barriers.
- Understand the broad range of supports available to survivors of sexual violence.
- Understand the legislative responses to sexual violence in Canada.
- Develop an understanding of the Province's 2015 sexual violence Action Plan
- Identify Information and tools on how to support survivors of sexual violence including: effectively respond to disclosures, safety planning and making effective referrals.
- Identify ways of promoting community and social change by engaging survivors of sexual violence in organizational change.
SV K: June 14th-July 26th, 2017
Module 1: Wednesday, June 14th, 2017
Module 2: Wednesday, June 21st, 2017
Module 3: Wednesday, June 28th, 2017
Module 4: Wednesday, July 5th, 2017
Module 5: Wednesday, July 12th, 2017
The course will be completed on Wednesday, July 19th, 2017
Criteria for participation
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers employed at any OCASI member agency and working with immigrant and refugee women from across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 3-5 hours of learning each week for the period of 5 weeks.
- Engage in active participation and complete assignments each week
How to register: If you interested in participating in this training, please click the link below and complete the registration form that follows: https://svk-understandingandrespondingtosexualviolence.eventbrite.ca
Registration Deadline: 12PM, June 9th, 2017 (or when registration fills up)
Register Early: Enrollment is limited!